Read the story and answer the questions to test your comprehension.
Olympic weightlifters either "snatch" or "clean and jerk" extremely heavy weights. In the "snatch" event, they must lift the barbell over their head in one solid motion. When they "clean and jerk," they lift the barbell halfway, pause, and finish the job. The heaviest weight ever lifted by an Olympic weightlifter is 585.3 pounds!
1. What was the heaviest weight ever lifted?
- a. 583.3 pounds
- b. 634.7 pounds
- c. 488.3 pounds
2. What is a "clean and jerk"?
- a. To drop the weight
- b. To lift in one smooth motion
- c. To lift the weight halfway, pause, and finish
3. What does a "snatch" mean in weightlifting?
- a. To get into position
- b. To lift the barbell over one's head
- c. To drop the weight